Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Duralock Proline Disc Lock

I bought one of these to secure a storage locker I rent in which to stash extra tools for work.
It came with two keys. I kept one on my keychain and stashed the other at home. Everything was going fine until I accidentally bent the key I carried and it broke when I tried to straighten it. 

That left the spare. But, if something happened to the spare, I'd be screwed. So, remembering that there's supposed to be a warranty on my padlock, I tried to contact Duralock to order a replacement.

Unfortunately, that wasn't as easy as I hoped it would be. There is no contact information on the label in order to take advantage of the warranty and an Internet search for the actual owners of the brand proved fruitless. It turns out that the locks are made in China and India, with no offices in the USA. So, I had hit a dead end.

But, all was not lost. I contacted Aloha Keys Awards & Gifts here in Honolulu and they were able to make me a new key in only a few minutes for a little over three dollars. They are a key distributor, which means that they have access to all key blanks, including those for Duralock. Their locksmith told me that thousands of people have already come to their shop to have new keys made for their Duralock padlocks, so I wasn't the first and I won't be the last.

I'll grant that Duralock isn't an expensive lock to buy, but it does the job well enough. So. if you need a replacement key, just go to your nearest locksmith company which stocks key blanks and have new key made.

In case you haven't guessed: that warranty is basically worthless.


Duane Browning

No comments: