Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Possible Spectrum Scam

I received a call this morning from 916-578-963‬ shortly after I woke up. The number only came through as nine digits, instead of ten.

A man with an Indian accent told me that he was calling from Spectrum. After all the India-based scams where people were posing as IRS agents, I was immediately distrustful. I told him that I was on my way to work and he hung-up. 

Later, I tried calling back and the number wouldn't connect, which makes me suspect that the number was spoofed.

I called Spectrum Technical Support and informed them about the phone call. As of the time I had called, no one else had reported being contacted by apparent scammers. It's possible that people have been contacted and either didn't answer the call because the number looked suspicious or had been duped and won't realize it until a later date.

Time will tell.


Duane Browning

No comments: